Do you want to reap the full benefits of having an ATV on your farm? Simply pair it up with an ATV disc/harrow and take your ATV for a ride.
Having an ATV disc/harrow can turn your life around for good! If you plan on buying one, this blog will review some popular ATV disc/harrow brands and their benefits. Note that they are available in different shapes and sizes. Therefore it’s important to invest in the one that fits your needs.
Though available in different styles; single row, multi-row, and offset disc, most ATV disc/harrow designs have pull-behind functionality. To take your everyday farming errands to the next level, all you have to do is attach the ATV disc/harrow at the back of your 4-wheel tractor and take it for a spin on the farming land or your backyard. However, finding the right product is no easy task.
In simpler words, you need to choose the right type of ATV disc/harrow for the kind of land you will cultivate. Different amounts and different types of land require different types of ATV discs. Primarily because every feature offers specific functionality, you would want to invest only in the one that serves your needs. To help you with the decision-making process, our team has put together some of the best ATV disc/harrow of the year in this blog. So, before any further ado, let’s delve in!
What Is An ATV Disc/Harrow?
An ATV disc/harrow is an essential agricultural tool that is used to prepare the soil before sowing the seeds. From ground leveling with heavy soil to preparing a suitable seedbed for getting optimum plant growth and eradicating dead grass, an ATV disc/harrow serves several uses. It attaches to your all-terrain vehicle through a ball and socket hitch or drawbar and relies on its weight, the force from your ATV, and the sharp-edged discs to quickly and efficiently break through hard-packed soils.
Things to Consider When Buying an ATV Disc/Harrow
There are several things to consider when buying an ATV disc/harrower. These include size, thickness, material, and quality. Listed below are the key factors that you should consider before buying an ATV disc/harrower:
The ATV disc styles can be divided into two broad categories; smooth ATV discs and notched ATV discs. The smooth ATV discs are sharp and feature an even circumference. They are ideal for sandy and light surfaces and tend to clog less. Conversely, the notched discs comprise spikes that face in the same direction. When buying an ATV disc/harrow with notched blades, one thing to know is that the more the number of spikes, the greater the plowing efficiency.
The angling function is another critical feature to consider when investing in an ATV disc/harrower. This is necessary because if the soil is tough, you will be required to make adjustments that will allow you to stroke deeper. Most ATV disc/harrowers come with manufacturer-allowed adjustment flexibility of 0 to 30 degrees.
ATV Disc Diameter
The wider the diameter, the easier it will be for the ATV disc/harrower to break the soil, so the shorter the turnaround time. Therefore, it is recommended that you choose an ATV disc/harrower with a diameter of 350 mm at least.
Best ATV Disc/Harrow: Our Picks
The best ATV disc/harrow can turn your trusty quad into an excellent farmer’s companion. ATV disc/harrows comprise sharp-edged discs making it the standard choice for most people when plowing rugged grounds. However, because of the extensive range of disc designs and styles available, you should do your research and opt for the type of ATV disc/harrow that works best for your cultivating needs.
So, how does one find the perfect ATV disc/harrow attachment? To make things easier for you, we have compiled a list of some of the best ATV disc/harrows available on the market. Read on to find out!
1. Bad Dawg Groundhog Max Disc Plow
Bad Dawg's Groundhog Max Disc Plow comprises a conveyor-belt design that makes it easy to remove, install and store. It comes with six discs and can be easily attached to the hitch receiver under your ATV. Being the most efficient in the ATV disc/harrow class, the GroundHog Max Disc Plow delivers twice the cutting speed, thanks to its 21-inch wide cutting discs. It also features an adjustable height control system that enables you to set the GroundHog Max Disc Plow according to your cultivation needs. Ideally, this ATV disc/harrow plow is recommended for jobs such as preparing lands for planting, garden tiling, setting up a wildlife food plot, creating a breakfire, and grooming dirt. Though the GroundHog Max Disc Plow comes pre-assembled, avoid damaging it when attaching the hitch system to the receiver.
● Adjustable height control.
● Uses a 2-inches receiver kit for easy mounting.
● No additional weight is needed.
● It is pre-assembled by the manufacturer.
● Easy to store.
● Flexible adaptors, hence it can work with several quad bike models.
● Can easily plow 1-acre of land in 4 hours.
● The lightweight design can cause wobbling issues.
● Poor quality hitch system.
2. Battle Armor Designs ATV Universal 6-Disc Big Buck Food Plot Plow
The Big Bug Food Plot Plow features a universal design that makes it the perfect companion to any ATV or UTV. Comprising of six discs, a single person can easily attach the hitch-mounted disc plow to any 2-inch receiver hitch with the help of the hitch pin. With 29-inch width, the sharp-edged six discs ensure effortless turning and more strength, consequently reducing the overall plowing time. According to our estimates, the Big Bug Food Plot Plow can help you clear half an acre of land in less than 30 minutes.
One of the best things about the Big Bug Food Plot Plow is its built-in Clean-Out System that prevents debris build-up and ensures 100% workability at all times. However, it can still get clogged up when working on grass-covered areas or clearing weeds despite the technology. Moreover, its disc position and transport position feature offer sublime maneuverability, allowing you to lock on the transport position and travel to a different location without having the blades come in contact with the ground.
● Aggressive discs and sharp turning radius result in better soil penetration.
● 6 to 8 discs variations available for different tasks.
● Easy mounting with a 2-inch hitch.
● Comfortable maneuverability with the lockable transport mode.
● Can plow half an acre of land under one hour.
● Loosens up tough soil if deep penetration is impossible.
● Integrated clean-out system prevents unwanted debris build-up.
● It is only compatible with 2-inches hitch.
● The clean-out system often gets clogged and fails.
3. Agri-Fab Ground-Engaging Attachment Sleeve Hitch Disc Cultivator
Looking for an inexpensive ATV disc/harrow? Agri Fab’s Ground-Engaging Attachment Sleeve Hitch Disc Cultivator has got you covered. Comprising of an ergonomic design, the Agri-Fab disc provides excellent performance on dry and hard lands. Apart from being one of the most affordable ATV disc/harrows in the class, the Agri-Fab disc is powder-coated for durability and allows you to adjust the working width by 30 to 30 inches and the disc angle by 10 to 20 degrees.
In simpler words, the flexibility of the Agri-Fab disc allows you to move in any direction without putting extra strain on your all-terrain vehicle. Another thing that makes this ATV disc/harrower stand out is the inclusion of a tandem hitch. This feature allows you to hook two cultivators at once, making the Agri-Fab disc a perfect choice for farmers with many plots to plow in less time.
● Easy to set up.
● Smooth operation on dry and even ground.
● It can also be used to loosen up clay soil.
● It comes with a 3-year limited consumer warranty.
● It is ideal for uprooting weeds and garden maintenance.
● Powder-coated for rust and corrosion resistance.
● Allows 10 to 20-degree disc angle adjustment.
● You have to add at least 20 pounds of extra weight for the discs to tear up the ground efficiently.
● Tends to wobble or vibrate on a bumpy trail.
4. Groundhog GHMAXNOKIT ATV Disc Plow
The Groundhog GHMAXNOKIT is built with high-quality materials, ensuring strength and durability. Its compact design and heavy blades ensure that the ATV disc/harrow plows fast and deep wherever you drive your quad bike to. The Groundhog GHMAXNOKIT provides reliability and longevity while offering excellent performance and service. It can be ideally used for small farming chores, landscaping, food plots, and gardening. Thanks to its “Plug and Plow” feature, the Groundhog GHMAXNOKIT can even handle the most challenging jobs with ease and efficiency.
Being compatible with almost all types of ATVs, the Groundhog GHMAXNOKIT comes pre-assembled, making it the perfect choice for people who have never used an ATV disc/harrow plow before. Moreover, since there are no tires to go flat and no ratchets to rust, the model is considered the most reliable in the class. With a Groundhog GHMAXNOKIT, you won’t only be saving money but your time as it operates at a speed of 5 to 7 miles per hour.
● Faster and deeper cuts.
● Incredible power.
● No ratchets.
● Excellent cuts.
● Outstanding speed.
● No additional weight requirements.
● Topnotch maneuverability.
● Adjustable height control.
● Can plow at 2 to 3 miles per hour in reverse.
● No extra weight required.
● Comes fully assembled.
● Poor quality hitching brackets.
● Dirt can quickly get stuck between the blades.
5. Brinly DD-55BH Sleeve Hitch Adjustable Tow behind Disc Harrow
The Brinly DD-55BH Sleeve Hitch is designed for challenging jobs in the field. Unlike most ATV disc/harrows in the market, it comprises sharp and smooth heavy-duty steel discs which are firmly attached to a steel weight tray. The eight discs are 11-inches in diameter and can break clots and turn even the roughest surfaces.
Since the Brinly DD-55BH Sleeve Hitch’s working width can be adjusted from 29-inches to 39-inches, it can accommodate all garden sizes, small and large. Though the 15-degree angle is recommended for use, you can also use the Brinly DD-55BH Sleeve Hitch at a 20-degree angle for aggressive dicing. Moreover, you can add extra weight to the ATV disc harrower for deeper penetration and better ground marking.
● Enhanced durability.
● Effortless plowing on rough, dry, and hard grounds.
● Ease of maintenance.
● It can be adjusted in three different angles.
● It perfectly fits with different garden appliances.
● You can add weight to it for better precise cuts.
● Experiences less debris buildup compared to toothed discs.
● The weight tray can only fit a few blocks of additional weight.
● Isn’t very productive without the extra weight.
● You have to buy the sleeve hitch separately.
● Skips across dirt.
About THE AUTHOR
23 years old. I work at a motocross store where we specialize in gear, parts, and apparel for ATV and UTV riders.Read More About Kellie